Sunday, October 4, 2015

TOW #4 - Animals in Translation

I am really enjoying reading Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin, and I’m happy to say that it is becoming one of my favorite books. Despite the rollercoaster of emotions that it holds, every so often I am left with a very hopeful feeling—that someday we will have the means of being able to communicate with animals without language. That is part of what I found to be most interesting in the story. Grandin’s main argument is that animals have a consciousness just like us. In other words, language is not a requirement for consciousness, so just because animals can’t speak doesn’t mean they can’t feel the same pain, fear, love, anger, friendship, etc. that we do.

Not only is this book expanding my horizons about the minds of animals, but it also did so for autism. Grandin applies her theory of “hyper-specificity” that comes along with certain cases of autism in teh form of pathos and ethos. What I found most interesting is that she both placed this disorder on a pedestal as a great talent for someone to possess, but also a great defecit. She uses this condition of autism to compare how they think to how animals think: with great attention to detail. This theory is also how she invented (a) her contraption called the “Squeeze Machine” or “Hug Machine” to help those with autism calm down during episodes of hyperactivity and (b) a way of direction cows through slaughterhouse yards to make their journey as least stressful as possible.


While I am still ‘iffy’ about how effective her idea for slaughterhouses is, I have faith because I’m pretty much all for the “hyper-specificity” theory. This would make it seem much more humane in my eyes. I can’t wait to finish the story! Temple Grandin is definitely one of the most interesting people I have discovered.

No comments:

Post a Comment